I decided to do the updates in a separate e-mail because sometimes I can be very lengthy, but I’ll try to keep it brief.
Tuesday and Wednesday classes are running normal, no changes. The Thursday Vet 40+ class is rescheduled for Monday November 23, 2020 at 6:15PM.
2020 Fayetteville Observer’s Reader’s Choice Winner
The All-American Fencing Academy was voted the 2020 Fayetteville Observer’s Reader’s Choice Winner in the Martial Arts Category! Many thanks for all our supporters because I’m sure it took A LOT of people to vote for us!
Scrimmages and Competitions
We have a lot of new fencers, so you may not know, but we do scrimmages! We haven’t had any since the pandemic, but we will perhaps try a small one in December. This gives our students and families experience and learn what a competition will feel like.
Some of our competitive fencers are looking for competitions and there are some that are being held in Virginia. Please make sure you read their rules carefully about what they are requiring for competition (masks, who can attend, etc.)
For those that compete Nationally, here is what to expect: https://www.usafencing.org/news_article/show/1130356
If you are looking to purchase your own equipment, we have some guides available at https://allamericanfencing.com/forms-and-documents/
Before you hit buy and as you look at the options, please feel free to e-mail, call, or text Coach Gerhard with any questions. Equipment can be confusing for new families and fencers, we’ll make sure you get the right stuff.
Most of our beginner fencers purchase from Absolute Fencing Gear. We also recommend them because they have a good balance of quality and price.
We recommend to purchase a starter set. Here are the two we recommend:
Standard 6-Piece Foil Starter Set:
Absolute’s new standard sets only come with back zip jackets, which is probably the biggest difference. Students usually just need a little help with bag zip jackets. Also make sure you upgrade to a standard electric foil mask.
Advanced 6-Piece Foil Starter Set:
Almost identical to the Standard Set, but this comes with front zip jackets. Also don’t forget to upgrade to a foil mask with INOX bib.
Some common options and questions for both sets:
- Size and measurements are available on the Absolute’s website, have a measuring tape ready. If it’s for a surprise gift, either measure them while they’re sleeping or tell them you’re measuring for a new church outfit. 🙂
- The size of the weapon grip is the same size as their glove.
- I mentioned before to upgrade to a foil mask or the foil mask with INOX bib. This is the mask with the metallic material on the bottom. Practice masks can’t be used in scrimmages or competitions.
- Make sure you select which hand they fence with. That determines which glove they get (fencers only wear one), which grip they get, and if getting a front zip jacket, which side the zipper needs to be on.
- Do NOT get a french grip weapon, get an AF Vis grip (short for Visconti).
- Blade size: Generally, if you are in my youth classes, get a #2 blade, if you are in my teen and adult classes, get a #5 blade. If you student is 12 years old turning into a teen pretty soon, make sure you talk to Coach Gerhard.
- DO NOT upgrade to an electric blade.
- You DO NOT need fencing pants. If you really want to get them, you can, they won’t need it except for scrimmages and tournaments. And we have plenty to borrow.
- Plastic chest protector: Yes if the student is female. If the student is male, it is not required. However, if the male student has been wearing it out of comfort, the consider getting one.