Thanks to Apex Fencing Academy for the opportunity for Ron to continue coaching when NCFDP had to close because of Covid. He continued the Zoom lessons until March of this year. Kriszti and Igor have been very supportive during difficult times. Coach became very close to the fencers and their families.
Thank you to Jim Kent and Henri Hall Gales for two+ years of weekly interaction, lessons, friendship support and assistance with chemo.
Dave Brown took Ron to wound care with Dr David Powel (also an alum) for over a year. https://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-david-powell-36bn3
Jen Hunt, alum ’04, organized the Russia trip in 05. When she got her Ph.D and moved to Australia, Coach and Susun’s house was her USA home base when she traveled. Ron considered Jen (as well Susun’s daughter Myah) a ‘Bonus daughter’.
Thank you very much for setting time aside to join us at UNC Chapel Hill in celebrating the life and memory of Coach Ron Miller. We look forward to seeing you here over November 10th, 11th and 12th! Here is the sign-up sheet for all the events we have planned during those days. When you have time, please take a look at it and fill it out so we can get everything arranged for you all.
Friday, November 10th: Team Day – Talk Train and Play
- 3:30 to 6:00pm – Open Practice with the team in Fencing Room at Fetzer Hall
- 7:00 to 9:00pm – Dinner at the Alumni Center including a panel of our current athletes and a silent auction.
- The dinner is $80 per person attending.
- Includes dinner, commemorative t-shirt, donation to the program.
- Use this link to pay for the dinner after completing your registration
Saturday, November 11th: University Day
- 8:00am – 5k with UNC AD – Bubba Cunningham followed by Monogram picnic and Duke Football game.
- The Gameday 5K will take place at Fleet Feet in Carrboro.
- The Monogram Picnic will take place 2 hours before kickoff time (Time TBD).
- Register here for the picnic: Game tickets are SOLD OUT!
Sunday, November 12th: Coach Day
- 10:00am to 12:00pm – Celebration of life and memories of Coach Miller.
- Held at the Koman Indoor Practice Facility.