A Celebration of Life for Coach Ron Miller was held on November 12, 2023 at the Koman Indoor Practice Facility. Team members, colleagues, friends, and family came out to celebrate Coach’s life and share his memories. The event was preceded by a practice with the team and dinner on Friday, November 10, 2023, and a Monogram Award winners picnic and Duke football game on November 11, 2023. Photos can be found here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/eaL5vuUWsKJmWNhJ7
Thank you very much for setting time aside to join us at UNC Chapel Hill in celebrating the life and memory of Coach Ron Miller. We look forward to seeing you here over November 10th, 11th and 12th! Here is the sign-up sheet for all the events we have planned during those days. When you have time, please take a look at it and fill it out so we can get everything arranged for you all.
Friday, November 10th: Team Day – Talk Train and Play
- 3:30 to 6:00pm – Open Practice with the team in Fencing Room at Fetzer Hall
- 7:00 to 9:00pm – Dinner at the Alumni Center including a panel of our current athletes and a silent auction.
- The dinner is $80 per person attending.
- Includes dinner, commemorative t-shirt, donation to the program.
- Use this link to pay for the dinner after completing your registration
Saturday, November 11th: University Day
- 8:00am – 5k with UNC AD – Bubba Cunningham followed by Monogram picnic and Duke Football game.
- The Gameday 5K will take place at Fleet Feet in Carrboro.
- The Monogram Picnic will take place 2 hours before kickoff time (Time TBD).
- Register here for the picnic: Game tickets are SOLD OUT!
Sunday, November 12th: Coach Day
- 10:00am to 12:00pm – Celebration of life and memories of Coach Miller.
- Held at the Koman Indoor Practice Facility.
On Monday, former UNC fencing coach Ron Miller — who started the program in Chapel Hill — passed away at the age of 78.
Miller retired from coaching in 2019 after 52 years with the fencing program. When he got to UNC in 1967 as a physical education teacher, fencing was just a club sport. The athletic department had him focus on creating a varsity program.
At the 2022 Summer Nationals in Minneapolis, Miller was inducted into the USA Fencing Hall of Fame’s Class of 2023 after being chosen for the honor by his peers within fencing. The legendary coach was in attendance to accept his honor, presented by Matt Jednak, who succeeded Miller as UNC coach when Miller retired after the 2018-19 season. More: https://www.usafencing.org/news_article/show/1228919