It’s a tournament weekend at the All-American Fencing Academy! For some, it’s a welcome return to competition, but for many this will be their first chance to try a tournament! We have many of our beginners trying their first tournament this weekend. Our unsanctioned/intramural events are perfect for beginners, it give them an opportunity to understand and put into practice the things we are learning in class.
And we stress (but we know it’s difficult) not to worry about winning, but more on remembering what we work on in class. You know that video meme using a kid trying to say Pinocchio (https://www.youtube.com/shorts/JMEhuTOJZBk)? It can get a little like that, but that’s ok! It’s about having fun and meeting your other AAFA team members!
What do you need to bring? It’s a home event, so we’ll have all the competitive fencing equipment you’ll need. But if you have any practice equipment, bring it (like mask, glove, jacket).
Otherwise, here is what you should plan to bring:
- $20 tournament registration fee.
- T-shirt that you can wear under the fencing jacket.
- Possibly a change of shirt after the competition.
- We’ll have most of our students wearing fencing knickers (pants), so make sure you’re wearing something under your regular pants.
- Athletic shoes to fence in.
- Knee high socks (if you don’t have any, that’s ok, don’t worry about about going out to buy new socks).
- Something to drink and snack on.
- Camera (but most people have a cell phone to take pictures).
The youth event starts at 9AM, so try to be there by 8:30AM. I plan to be done with the youth tournament between 12-1PM. The teen/adult event starts at 12:30PM, so try to be there by 12PM. I plan to be done with the teen/adult tournament between 3-4PM.
We will take a few minutes before the event to explain how tournaments run and what to expect. You can also take a look at our “Primer on Tournaments” (https://allamericanfencing.com/a-primer-on-tournaments/).
Even if you didn’t register on our clipboard during class or online and decide, YES! We do want to try our first competition! That’s OK! Go ahead and just show up. We can add you on the day of the event.
Here are some other links that might be helpful:
- View current registered participants: https://askfred.net/Events/whoIsComing.php?tournament_id=50867
- Register for the tournament: https://askfred.net/Events/Prereg/prereg.php?tournament_id=50867
- View results (usually available at the end of the day): https://askfred.net/Results/results.php?tournament_id=50867
- Preliminary seeding, and of pool results, elimination round seeding, brackets, individual elimination round results: https://allamericanfencing.com/tournaments/aug2022/